Sunday, September 26, 2010

Facebook: Friend or Foe?

Facebook have come the most popular social networking websites for all ages. The fact that one can socialize, share pictures, and connect with friends wherever they are is truly astonishing. However, some teens have spent an overabundance amount of time on Facebook in their daily lives that they fail to do anything else.

I was reluctant to use Facebook at first after witnessing how everyone spend literally half their day checking their Facebook status. Many of my friends told me that I need to get in on this because it is the new cool thing. After countless pleads, i succumbed to peer pressure and started a Facebook profile.

After using Facebook, I found out that there are a lot of unique things about this site. I can share pictures, videos, and even check what my friends are doing this very moment. However, as time went on I saw the many social deterioration effects this social network can have on people.

The first thing that hit me was that my friends got mad when I didn't reply, comment, or accept their friend request after within 2 hours. Apparently ignoring a friend request is a direct insult and not commenting on your friends status is the same as ignoring you friends in real life.

When my friends asked me to show them my profile, the only thing they commented on was the fact that I only had 150 friends. I could only give them a look of confusion. Not having a lot of Facebook friends puts you on the loser list.

Facebook is a great tool for meeting friends, but to some teens Facebook have become a way of life. I can now see why people waste so much of their time on Facebook. The pressure of being cool and socially accepted is why people are offering up their lives to this time vampire called Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment