Sunday, September 26, 2010

Barack Obama' Great Hype?

I am a sports fan so I know hype when I see it. Although I am not someone who likes to get into politics, I can't help but wonder what the big deal is when Barack Obama became the president of the United States.

First of all, I do not hate Barack Obama and I certainly don't think he is a bad president. He is the first black president of the United States and I can understand that his presidency can become a symbol of ending racism. During his presidential campaign, he won the support of almost all black people. However, I cannot distinguish whether people voted for him because of his policies and beliefs or because they wanted to prove to the world that the era of racism is truly over in America.

I have heard many Barack Obama's speeches on both the internet and TV. My impression was mediocre. His speech contained nothing groundbreaking, breathtaking, or anything worthy of such hype people have praised him for. He looks black, but nothing that he did or said have made me believe that he is black.

The media glamorized this man to the point that its beyond ridiculous. One night I turn on the TV and saw Fox News reporting that the "Future" President have stopped by a Jack in the Box and the store did not have any hot sauce for him.

As I said above, I am a sports fan. When George W. Bush was still the president, the only thing I heard of him being related to sports was that he will throw the first pitch of a baseball game. When Barack Obama took over, the media have showed how he was a fan of the Chicago Bears and the Chicago Bulls. He even gave a half hours speech on the NBA finals.

If I want to hear about the president, I want him to speak about politics. There's no reason that we should focus so much on his personal life. I am not hating nor blaming the current president for this, but he has gotten the more spotlight that he deserves. If Obama was white, there would be no such hype for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment